My first experiment in the ways of coconut cakes. Made it for my father’s birthday and the whole family kept begging for more! Turned out soft, moist, and with the right amount of sweetness to make it a great pairing for any cup of tea. Adapted from an AllRecipes.com chocolate coconut cake recipe.
- 3/4 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c white sugar
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 c milk
- 2 tsps coconut extract
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 c sweetened flaked coconut
- 3-4 drops food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Butter the sides of two 9-inch cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with 9-inch parchment paper.
- Beat unsalted butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Whisk egg whites, milk, and coconut extract in a separate bowl.
- Thoroughly mix about 1/3 of the flour mixture into the creamed butter and sugar; stir in half the egg white-milk mixture. Repeat twice more, ending with final 1/3 of flour mixture; stir to make a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and smooth tops with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on racks for about 5 minutes before turning out onto racks to cool completely.
- Peel parchment paper from cakes.
- Stir sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and vanilla extract together in a bowl; stir in 3/4 cup flaked coconut. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Bring 1/2 cup heavy cream to a simmer over low heat; gradually stir in chocolate until thoroughly melted and the mixture is thick and smooth. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Place a cake layer onto a serving platter; top with the condensed milk-coconut mixture. Place second cake layer over the coconut filling. Spread warm chocolate mixture evenly over top and sides of cake with a thin spatula.
- Toss 1 cup flaked coconut in a bowl with food coloring until coconut is evenly colored; sprinkle coconut over chocolate topping to serve.